Thursday, December 9, 2010

Black Bear part 2

While we were getting my set up, my bear went down the hill. Glen quickly got his’ distressed fawn call out and called the boar back. My soon to be black bear came roaring up the hill! He put his two front feet on a stump and was furiously looking for the so called fawn. Just two hundred yards away from one of the predators that we humans fear most, Glen then said, “Take BOOOOOM him!” He was so surprised when I shot that quickly, that later on he informed me he jumped, even though he knew I was going to shoot. I shot perfectly, right in the boar’s chest. Staying on him, I watched the boar run down the hill, and then he disappeared into the deep thicket. With a few “atta girls” and a couple deep breaths, we proceeded down the mountain. Trying to settle our excitement, going down the mountain, we took our time, carefully looking for blood and tracks.


Finally, after fifteen minutes of searching, we spotted blood! Thirty yards later, there was my boar lying down, stone cold! Then the real excitement picked up! I killed my first bear! After an hour of taking pictures and celebrating, it was time to cape him out! Being a young female sure did not slow me down; I quickly earned my name in hunting camp by becoming one of the guy’s. I grabbed my skinning knife, and began skinning my Black bear, and taking away the meat that we would eat for dinner. While most people think bear is fowl tasting, I find it quite delicious, and I am raised to eat everything I kill, therefore I am not just a “horns” hunter, I take every valuable piece home with me. In addition to taking the meat back, I also believe in packing out each and every animal I harvest. As I loaded my bear skull, hide, and meat into my backpack, the guy’s helped me get it on, and also included their comments, about how I should not be this crazy of a girl. To all the women who are game to try the outdoors: we can do anything we set our mind’s to! Just because of our gender, and or size, we are not incapable; we just need to prove ourselves that we can accomplish anything. We can do the “impossible”.

I want to thank Glen Venus, the guides, and his family! It was a trip to remember! Thank you for all that you did. Not only was the hospitality unbelievable, the hunt was extraordinary!



Contact Info:

Outfitter: Glen Venus, Trophy Guide Outfitters

Phone: 250-923-4288



Gun Manufacture’s: I received my .260 Remington from my father’s pawnshop. Grandpa’s Pawn and Gun (second highest volume gun dealer in the state of Colorado)

Phone: 303-772-7952



Hunting clothes: Sitka Gear

Website: www.Sitkagear.com

No comments:

Post a Comment