Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Last of the Grand Slam part 1

A Grand Slam at fifteen years old




The Grand Slam had been a dream of mine since last year around this time. I started in August of 2009 with my Dall sheep. Then I bounced over to British Columbia and became a half slammer with my Rocky Mountain Bighorn. From there I went to Baja, Mexico and bagged a Desert Bighorn. With the Yukon Stone sheep hunt just seven months away, I began training mentally, and most importantly physically. What most people fail to realize, is sheep hunting is much more than just, “there’s one. Okay, boom!” Sheep hunting is pretty much the king of all hunting. You cannot be afraid of body odor, sweat, predators, heights, cliffs, and the feeling of your knees about to fall off. If you think you’re game to try it, then come along with me!

To everyone’s surprise, Dad and I did not miss a single flight on our way to the Yukon. Instead, we were early! We were greeted with smiling faces and big hugs by my guide, Dustin Roe and his wife, Heather. We then got a few hours of sleep, but unfortunately for me, I spent the evening dreaming of sheep and settling my heart.

The next morning we were greeted to a very early alarm, grabbed some breakfast and headed for Lappie Lake. Four hours later, we arrived at Lappie with all our gear, and to everyone’s amazement, only one incident of getting car sick. (Lucky enough for Dustin, I missed his lap, this time! In Mexico, Dustin’s lap=direct shot!)

No comments:

Post a Comment